Ricoh launches two Laser Diode Driver ICs for Head-Up Display and Pico Projector applications
Osaka, Japan, January 17, 2020 - Ricoh Electronic Devices Co., Ltd. in Japan has expanded its portfolio with two new Laser Diode Driver ICs targeted for laser scanning type automotive and consumer projector applications.
Ricoh owns many patents and has years of experience in developing laser diode driver ICs, because such products are widely used in our world-famous office laser copiers and printers. Laser driven projectors are now also becoming popular to use in specific automotive and consumer equipment, such as ADAS head-up displays for car dashboards and in portable Pico video projectors to view presentations and films. This change is a result of technology advances in electronics integration, ultra-small IC packaging and light sources.
Laser projectors have a significant advantage over conventional displays using LEDs, their colour range is twice as large and its contrast ratio is much better for a crystal-clear visibility of the displayed content.
The RN5C750 and RN5C752 are four-channel laser drivers that have been devel-oped for use in RGB or RGGB laser scanning type screens and are equipped with many functions.
Offers a full HD resolution (1080p) and 60 fps image thanks to a fast laser diode output of 200 megapixel / sec and a high output current of up to 800 mA (LD1) and 400 mA (LD2-4). The laser diode outputs can tolerate voltages up to 10 V to make it possible to use laser diodes with a high forward voltage. In addition, power control for the laser diodes is performed by automatically adjusting the power source to save power and minimize heat dissipation. Contains various protection circuits such as la-ser diode overcurrent and short detection, thermal shutdown and photodiode overcurrent detection.
The RN5C750 has passed the AEC-Q100 (Grade 2) compatible reliability tests for automotive purposes and has a guaranteed operating temperature range from -40 to +105°C. The RN5C752 is an identical IC for consumer applications and has a temperature range from 0 to +70°C.
A special feature adopted from professional laser printers is used to deliver a high-quality output regardless of temperature. By using four additional photodiode sensors connected to the IC, it is possible to automatically detect the threshold current (Ith) and colour current (Icolor) of each channel and maintains its colour range regardless of temperature fluctuations.
The RN5C750 and RN5C752 are available in a QFN0808-56 package with a wettable flank technology that improves the solder ability of the chip and enables better automatic visual inspection of the solder joint after mounting on the printed circuit board. 7 bits dimming is possible by a simple setting in a specific register; there is no need to adjust the video data stream. Samples and evaluation boards are available through our global local distribution network.
Features RN5C750, RN5C752
- RGGB 4 Channel Current Output (Sink)
- LD1 (R) Maximum Operating Current: Iop = 800 mA (Icolor = up to 500 mA, Ith = up to 300 mA)
- LD2 to 4 (GGB) Maximum Operating Current: Iop = 400 mA (Icolor = up to 250 mA, Ith = up to 150 mA)
- Maximum Output Rate per 1 Channel: 200 Megapixel / sec
- High Gradation Output by Using 10-Bit Color DAC
- High Speed Output of Typically 1.0-ns Rising/Falling
- 20-bit Parallel Input Video I/F, Maximum Clock Frequency: 200 MHz, LVCMOS I/F
- 10-bit Parallel Input Video I/F, Maximum Clock Frequency: 225 MHz, LVCMOS I/F
- 10 V LD Pin Corresponding to High Forward Voltage (Vf) LD
- Power Saving and Heat Generation Suppression of Package by Using LD Power Source Control
- Protections: LD Overcurrent, LD Pin Short Circuit, PDI Input, Thermal Shutdown
- Pulse-Off Function, Dimming Function
- 12-bit SAR-ADC
- Serial Port Control by Using SPI Communication, SPI Maximum: 25 MHz
- Operating Temperature Range RN5C750 / RN5C752: −40 to 105°C / 0 to 70°C
- Datasheet RN5C750: https://www.e-devices.ricoh.co.jp/en/products/mixed_signal/rn5c750/
- Datasheet RN5C752: https://www.e-devices.ricoh.co.jp/en/products/mixed_signal/rn5c752/
Pricing and Availability
Information about Pricing and availability info via email: email@example.com.
About Ricoh Electronic Devices Co., Ltd
Ricoh Electronic Devices Co., Ltd is a leading global provider of semiconductor products, offering a comprehensive portfolio of CMOS Power Management and Real Time Clock ICs that enable engineers to design advanced applications for the con-sumer, industrial and automotive markets. The companies headquarter is based in Ja-pan, as well as development, sales and manufacturing facilities. Regional sales and support offices are located in North America, Europe, and Asia.
Ricoh has an extensive expertise in small package technology and has a focus on de-veloping products providing features such as low-supply current, high-accuracy, high efficiency and high-reliability.
For further information, please visit https://www.e-devices.ricoh.co.jp/en/.