Espressif Announces the ESP32-S2 Secure Wi-Fi MCU
Espressif announces the ESP32-S2 Secure Wi-Fi MCU, which is a highly integrated, low-power, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Microcontroller SoC solution, supporting Wi-Fi HT40 and 43 GPIOs. Based on Xtensa® single-core 32-bit LX7 processor, it can be clocked at up to 240 MHz
Shanghai, China, May 15, 2019
The ESP32-S2 is a highly integrated, low-power, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Microcontroller SoC solution, supporting Wi-Fi HT40 and 43 GPIOs. Based on Xtensa® single-core 32-bit LX7 processor, it can be clocked at up to 240 MHz.
With state-of-the-art power management and RF performance, IO capabilities and security features, ESP32-S2 is an ideal choice for a wide variety of IoT or connectivity based applications, including smart home and wearables. With an integrated 240 MHz Xtensa® core, ESP32-S2 is sufficient for building the most demanding connected devices without requiring external MCUs.
By leveraging Espressif’s mature and production ready ESP-IDF software development framework, ESP32-S2 achieves a balance of performance and cost to bring faster and secure IoT connectivity solution to the market.
CPU and Memory
- Xtensa® single-core 32-bit LX7 microcontroller
- 7-stage pipeline
- Clock frequency up to 240 MHz
- Ultra-low-power co-processor
- 320 kB SRAM, 128 kB ROM, 16 KB RTC memory
- External SPIRAM (128 MB total) support
- Up to 1 GB of external flash support
- Separate instruction and data cache
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- 1x1 transmit and receive
- HT40 support with data rate up to 150 Mbps
- Support for TCP/IP networking, ESP-MESH networking, TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 and other networking protocols over Wi-Fi
- Support Time-of-Flight (TOF) measurements with normal Wi-Fi packets
- 43 programmable GPIO’s
- 14 capacitive touch sensing IO’s
- Standard peripherals including SPI, I2C, I2S, UART, ADC/DAC and PWM
- LCD (8-bit parallel RGB/8080/6800) interface and also support for 16/24-bit parallel
- Camera interface supports 8 or 16-bit DVP image sensor, with clock frequency of up to 40 MHz
- Full speed USB OTG support
- RSA-3072 based trusted application boot
- AES256-XTS based flash encryption to protect sensitive data at rest
- 4096-bit eFUSE memory with 2048 bits available for application
- Digital signature peripheral for secure storage of private keys and generation of RSA signatures
Optimal Power Consumption
ESP32-S2 supports fine resolution power control through selection of clock frequency, duty cycle, Wi-Fi operating modes and individual power control of its internal components.
- When Wi-Fi is enabled, the chip automatically powers on or off the RF transceiver only when needed, thereby reducing the average power consumption of the system.
- ULP co-processor with less than 5 uA idle mode and 24 uA at 1% duty-cycle current consumption. Improved Wi-Fi connected and MCU idle mode power consumption.
ESP32-S2 supports Espressif’s ESP-IDF software development framework, which is a mature and production-ready platform, already used in millions of devices deployed in the field. Availability of common cloud connectivity agents and common product features shortens the time to market.
ESP32-S2 offers a universal Wi-Fi connectivity solution for variety of applications ranging from consumer to industrial use-cases. Furthermore, the computing power and memory expandability also makes it a suitable solution for simple ML-on-edge applications. While it can support a large number of use-cases, some of the target application use-cases are listed below:
Smart Home Connectivity
Ranging from simple solutions like light bulbs, smart door locks, smart sockets to white-good and kitchen appliances, over-the-top (OTT) devices and video streaming devices like security cameras.
- Supports Mesh Network which can be applied to large-scale commercial lighting and smart home network solutions.
- Allows efficient interfacing with a wide range of sensors which is suitable for different smart home scenario needs.
Battery operated devices
Connected Wi-Fi sensors, Wi-Fi enabled toys, wearable and healthcare devices.
- Small 7 mm ⨉ 7 mm QFN package is ideal for wearable devices
- Low power consumption in hibernation mode of less than 5 uA enables application in battery operated devices or long standby time devices
- QSPI/OPI supports multiple flash/SRAM chips for flexible configuration of NVM and volatile data storage
Industrial automation includes wireless control and robotics, smart lighting, HVAC control, which can ensure high-quality technology development and a long life-cycle for products.
- With its high RF performance and security features, it can meet strict requirements and high standards of reliability and efficiency for electronic control.
Retail & Catering Applications
POS machines and service robots
- Advance security features enable protection of sensitive data on the chip and flash device
- Small form factor
- With 14 highly sensitive touch sensors and LCD interface, ESP32-S2 targets low cost secure connected HMI devices such as POS machines
Pricing and Availability
Engineering Samples of ESP32-S2 beta will be available in June. More Information about Pricing and availability info via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Espressif Systems
Espressif Systems (Shanghai) Pte. Ltd. is a fabless semiconductor company, with headquarters in Shanghai Zhangjiang High-Tech Park, providing low power Wi-Fi and Bluetooth SoCs and wireless solutions for the Internet of Things (IoT). The company build the widely popular ESP8266 and ESP32 chips with an innovative team of chip-design specialists, software and firmware developers and marketers. Es-pressif is committed to providing the best IoT devices and software platforms in industry.
The company also helps their customers build their own solutions and connect with other partners in the IoT ecosystem. Their passion lies in creating state-of-the-art chipsets and enabling partners to deliver great products. Espressif’s products are widely deployed in the tablet, OTT boxes, cameras, and Internet of Things markets. For more information, please visit http://www.espressif.com.
For more information about ESP32-S2, please visit our "technologytransfer, ESP32-S2, WiFi for a Dollar"